How often do you change your pillow?
How often do you change your pillow? It is believed that many families take out the pillow core and wash the pillowcase once in a while, thinking that this is enough to ensure the cleanliness of the pillow. As for how often the pillow is changed, more people may not have the awareness of regular pillow replacement.
In fact, it’s not enough to just wash the pillowcase. Due to long-term use, the oil secreted by the human body’s epidermis, exhaled air, shed hair, dander and other substances will enter the pillow; moreover, the pillow will also Deformation occurs due to long-term use. Therefore, it is necessary to change pillows regularly. If you do not change pillows for a long time, what harm will it bring to your health?
1. Causes facial skin problems
When sleeping, the facial skin is in direct and long-term contact with the pillow, which makes the sundries, bacteria and other harmful substances in the pillow stick to the face, which can easily cause facial infections, leading to acne, acne and other types of facial Skin problems.
2. Cause respiratory diseases
Sleeping close to the pillow, so when we breathe, the harmful substances in the pillow will enter the respiratory tract and lungs. If the pillow is not changed for a long time, breathing air mixed with bacteria for a long time will easily lead to the appearance of respiratory diseases.
3. Cause cervical spine problems
If you sleep on a pillow for a long time without replacing it, the pillow will be severely deformed, and the pillow surface will be uneven. Sleeping with such a pillow for a long time can easily cause neck discomfort and induce various cervical diseases.
It can be seen that it is necessary to change pillows regularly, which is a kind of responsibility for our health. So, how often is it more reasonable to change the pillow?
For pillow cores with different fillings, the replacement cycle is not the same. For latex pillows, replace every 3 to 4 years; for down pillows, it is appropriate to replace every 2 to 3 years; pillows such as tea and buckwheat need to be replaced once a year. ; Chemical fiber pillows need to be replaced every 3 months.
In addition to timely replacement, what are the precautions when using pillows?
1. The height of the pillow
A pillow that is too high can easily damage the cervical spine and induce snoring; while a pillow that is too low can cause cerebral vascular congestion, increased blood pressure, and feel dizzy after waking up. A reasonable pillow height should be behind the pillow, and the torso and head are parallel when lying on the back; Therefore, the most suitable height of the pillow should be 10-15 cm. Many people only put their head on the pillow while sleeping, and the neck stays in the air for a long time, or the neck muscles are stretched or contracted for a long time because of the improper height of the pillow, and they cannot fully relax and wake up. The back of the neck will have a sore sensation, and in the long run, it will develop intractable neck and shoulder pain, even dizziness, and headache. From the perspective of human biomechanics, concave (dumbbell-shaped) pillows are most suitable. Elderly people can put their head in the depression of the pillow, and put the neck on a higher place, so that the neck can get enough support and the neck and shoulder muscles can be relaxed. Regarding the height of the pillow, it is advisable that the head does not fall back or bend excessively when lying on the back, and the head does not curve sideways when lying on the side. To ensure the above two points, the ligaments and joints of the neck can be in a relaxed state, so as to achieve a better rest effect.
2. The hardness of the pillow
If the pillow is too hard, it will cause discomfort due to the less contact area of the head with it; if it is too soft, it will easily cause neck fatigue; therefore, the hardness of the pillow must be moderate. A very hard pillow has a small contact area with the head, increased pressure, and uncomfortable scalp. On the contrary, the pillow is too soft to maintain a certain height, the neck muscles are prone to fatigue, and it is not conducive to sleep, and the head sinks during it, which affects blood circulation. Therefore, the pillow should be of moderate hardness.
Pillows should also have a certain degree of elasticity. If the pillows are too elastic, the head will continue to be subjected to additional elasticity, causing muscle fatigue and injury. Such as "spring pillow", "air pillow", etc., can not be regarded as a pillow that is conducive to health.
Pillows, this seemingly ordinary daily necessities, can't imagine that there is so much attention to its use. For the sake of health, we should not neglect the issue of pillows.
3. Pillow material There are many common pillow materials on the market. Which one can better protect the cervical spine? The principle of choosing pillow material is: moderate hardness and good air permeability. For the following common materials on the market, you need to fully understand the effects of pillows when choosing. The advantages of chemical fiber pillows: cheap; easy to clean. Disadvantages: poor elasticity, easy to deform, resulting in insufficient supporting force; poor air permeability. Advantages of down pillows: good warmth retention; soft and comfortable. Disadvantages: poor hardness, unsatisfactory support effect; not easy to clean; more expensive; not suitable for people who are prone to allergies. Advantages of latex pillows: good elasticity, good supporting effect, and not easy to deform; the foamed latex pillow has good air permeability. Disadvantages: special materials, more expensive. Advantages of natural materials such as buckwheat: loose structure, can change shape according to the movement of the head and neck, high fit; moderate hardness, good supporting force; good air permeability. Disadvantages: easy to crush; shells that have not been sterilized by high temperature are prone to insects and need to be aired more. Advantages of slow rebound memory pillow: soft hand feeling; slow rebound in 2-12 seconds; absorb pressure; more breathable. Disadvantages: The main components are polyurethane and polyether, the physical properties are unstable, and it is easy to oxidize and turn yellow. When the raw material is not good, it is easy to release toxic substances.
Correct use of pillows
1. When lying on your back (sleeping on your back), first use a pillow to cushion the entire head to the neck, not to the shoulders, otherwise the cervical spine is likely to be compressed, and it is not possible to sleep on the pillow with only half of the back of the brain, which will cause the cervical spine to hang in the air; Another small pillow is cushioned under the knees, so that the knee joints can be in a state of mild flexion and relaxation. The doctor said that the wrong position of the pad may cause soreness and discomfort in the short term, but it will cause greater health problems in the long term.
2. When sleeping on the side, the width of the shoulders will cause the head and neck to hang in the air. The height of the pillows should be doubled. You can use 2 pillows stacked together. Put a small pillow in between to help relax your waist, so that you will feel very comfortable when you sleep.